Recent Posts



Learn the Lingo

If you've been around the government agencies for any length of time you know there are tons of acronyms. And trucking is no exception.

If you're new to trucking this list should help you sort out all of the acronyms and learn the lingo...

  • 49CFR - 49th section of the Code of Federal Regulations These are the laws that are written. These parts are specific to the trucking industry. Parts 40 and 300-399.

  • BOC-3 - Bureau of Compliance Form #3

Blanket process agent form with a list of receiving agents should a legal dispute arise.

  • DOT - Department of Transportation, also known as USDOT Government agency that regulates safety.

  • EIN - Employer Identification Number This number is assigned to your business by the IRS. To apply for an EIN [or commonly referred to as a Tax ID] visit and search 'SS-4 online'.

  • ELD - Electronic Log Data - replaced the old paper logs

  • FF - Freight Forwarder Freight forwarders arrange transportation of goods by FMCSA-licensed carriers. Freight forwarders issue bills of lading to shippers and are responsible for the loss of or damage to the goods.

  • FMCSA - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration The government agency that regulates the entire surface transportation industry including rail. GVW - Gross Vehicle Weight Maximum weight a truck can weigh. Tractor + Trailer + Load = GVW

  • HAZMAT - Hazardous Materials

  • ICC - Interstate Commerce Commission (which is now the FMCSA, often used interchangeably)

  • IVMR - Individual Vehicle Mileage Record (aka Trip Sheet) A form that is used to record miles per state and gallons of fuel purchased per state in order to complete the quarterly IFTA return

  • IFTA - International Fuel Tax Agreement Required for trucks over 26,000 pounds. Obtain license and decals from your base state. Quarterly tax report must be filed with information from the IVMRs.

  • KYU - No clue! Other than this is the mileage tax account number for the State of Kentucky. Required for trucks weighing over 59,999 pounds. Quarterly mileage tax returns must be filed from the information on the IVMRs.

  • MC Number - Motor Carrier number Required for for-hire carriers/brokers traveling interstate, property & passengers

  • MCS-150 - Motor Carrier Safety Form #150 Paper form to update your USDOT number

  • MX - Mexican Carrier

  • NY HUT - New York Highway Use Tax Required for trucks weighing over 17,999 pounds. Quarterly mileage tax returns must be filed from the information on the IVMRs.

  • OP-1 - Operations Form #1 Old application to obtain your Motor Carrier #. Still used today for some types of transactions.

  • SCAC - Standard Carrier Alpha Code An accounting alpha code used in some operations. No need to apply for one unless you are asked for it.

  • TX DMV - Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Regulatory agency that governs intrastate operations within the State of Texas

  • TX DOT - Texas Department of Transportation (which is now the TX DMV for Intrastate Authority)

  • UCR - Unified Carrier Registration A generational permit. Began as a Bingo Card then morphed into Single State Registration. Now it is the UCR which is where you file your Certificate/Permit/License on a state level.

  • URS - Unified Registration System Currently it's the new system to file for new authorities. It won't be going into full swing for a long while. The FMCSA is having technical issues merging the two systems together.

  • VIN - Vehicle Identification Number This is a 17 digit alpha numeric code assigned to your vehicle. They are ALL unique and can usually be found on the dash of your vehicle.

This is the basic acronym list that will help you in the industry when it seems like people are talking in code.

Comment below if you can think of others...I know there's more!

Enjoy the new language!